Saturday, December 3, 2011

Intro

Allow me to introduce myself!  My name is Lauren, and I am a registered and licensed dietitian.  I have been giving patients and clients the tools they need to make healthy nutrition decisions since 2004, but my job became personal when my grandma (Sapta) was diagnosed with diabetes.  As a clinician, I was always told not to give menus and diets to people, because they will not be able to make decisions on their own and giving a menu is not a long-term solution.  Kind of like the give a man a fish concept....

After spending a weekend with my Sapta on a family vacation, it finally hit me.  She does not WANT to learn how to "fish".  She does not care what she eats and has no interest in learning how to carbohydrate count.  She wants me to tell her exactly what to eat, when to eat it, how much to eat, etc.  I ordered her food for her and told her what to eat throughout the entire trip, and she was perfectly fine with that.

This is where the blog idea came into play.  I am going to blog what I eat every day as a guide to what she should eat.  Although I don't have diabetes, I do essentially follow a diabetic diet: (3 carb servings at breakfast, 1 carb serving morning snack, 3-4 carb servings at lunch, 1-2 carb servings at afternoon snack, 3-4 carb servings at dinner).  Like most people, I do run into the challenges of what to eat when traveling, what to choose when at a wedding that is serving delicious pigs-in-a-blanket and egg rolls, and what to serve for dinner when I am exhausted and all I really want is a bowl of popcorn.  Through this blog, I will show how to overcome these challenges and more!  I am going to serve as an example to my sapta, and hopefully other people who are going through the same challenges she is facing as well!  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment